Sunday, September 28, 2014

Tips n' Tricks: An Easy Way To Refresh A Piece of Wood Furniture in less than 60 Minutes


Hi Friends!

Yes, you are reading right, there is an easy way to refresh wood furniture in less than 60 minutes.   I recently bought an Antique Desk with stunning Cabriole legs and beautiful wood grain.  The finish was really old and brittle and some of it had just worn off.  So many ideas ran through my head for the table!  But, I could not bring myself to painting it.  Keeping the rustic look of the table was the best option for me.  A family member will be borrowing it for his upcoming wedding.  He will be using it as a grooms table.  He says that he is an old soul caught inside a young man's body!  My goal is to make it beautiful and just right for the wedding.  And to ensure that the table would reflect just how masculine and rustic the groomsman is I wanted to refinish it.  I wanted to embody the old form that it already is and just bring it back to its former Glory.  So, I chose an easy and fast way to do this!!!  In total honesty, I didn't know if it would work as well as it did. Stay with me...

Antique Desk with Cabriole Legs - I went with an Antique Walnut Stain & Poly
Finish is Old and Worn

Close up of how worn the finish was


What You will Need:

  1. Orbital sander - I used 120 grit sandpaper to sand finish until it was evenly dull - ((If you want - you can go back over the table with a 180 or 200 grit sandpaper to ensure it is smooth))
  2. Natural Bristle Paint Brush
  3. Foam Roller
  4. Miniwax PolyShades Stain & Polyurethane
  5. Mineral spirits to clean hands and brushes
I used Antique Walnut Gloss (its very orangy in color but used it as I wanted it to look really rustic and antique)

 This is what I did First:

I sanded it down until it looked very dull, it didn't take long


Notice that I did not strip it to bare wood.  I just knocked the shine off



You can still see lots of original stain but no worries...it will work out in the end

Now, its all ready for the fun part!

I finished sanding the entire piece in less than 30 minutes. Remember, I was not stripping the stain off I was simply dulling the entire piece and preparing it for Polyshades.  Any professional wood refinisher would raise an eyebrow to using a foam roller to apply the Polyshades.  They would suggest a natural bristle brush.  But remember, this is a 60 minute tutorial and I am showing you the fastest way to do this!

**Be sure to clean the furniture piece after sanding with a mild surface cleaner.  Must be done before applying the Polyshades**

Second Let's apply the Polyshades!

Oh yeah, its looking good!

The foam roller will start out with an orange peel finish but go right back over it to lay the Polyshades down until smooth

Here, I applied the Polyshades to half of the side so that you can see the difference between unfinished and finished

The entire piece was covered in Polyshades

Much Better!


I think Polyshades is a Winner!
 I applied one coat of Polyshades and this is the results.  It took me less than 20 minutes to apply the Polyshades as it goes on fast with a roller!!  I used the natural bristle brush in smaller areas.  I was working on this in the evening and had enough time to apply one layer because it needs long drying time.  It needs to dry for 6 hours before reapplying another layer.  I would add another layer if it were for a dining table.  However, this table will not get the day to day rough use and abuse.

I used a gloss for a shiny look...I like shiny things too!



The legs are so beautiful and was what attracted me to the piece in the first place



Ready for the Grooms Table!

I have been meaning to let you guys know that I don't benefit from recommending any products listed on my blog other than my Le Chalk..  I am simply sharing what I use and what I have found to be helpful for furniture makeovers.  You are more than welcomed to share what works for you in the comment section, I would love to hear from you!

 Well, I hope I have inspired you today!


****SNEAK PEEK***

Stay tuned this week and I will show you how to add some personalized art for your bedroom wall for less than $20
 

Blessings,

Mary Elizabeth
XOXOXOX







No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Be Shy: Share your thoughts