Sunday, July 20, 2014

Mirror To Chalkboard - A Tutorial

Hello Sweet Readers,

It's been a whirlwind around here!  I am in the middle of selling a lot of my furniture and replacing with new and used pieces that I really would like.  I am working on changing the color palette to our home and that equals ALOT of work!  One step in front of the other, as my brother would say, "take it slow".  But being in transition is no fun because my husband is Type A and a little OCD so he will whine throughout the whole process. Help me Lord!  And then Thank Me when its all done!   I LOVE HIM, don't get me wrong.  There are a handful of things I do that annoys him too!  I will be taking the plunge here pretty soon, so keep me in your prayers.

Moving onto the chalkboard tutorial!  This is EASY you guys, you can do this.  Here are a list a materials you will need:

  • Chalkboard Paint (can be purchased at Lowes or add Le Chalk to your black paint)
  • White Spray Paint
  • Paint Brush
  • Sandpaper
  • Screw Driver
  • TSP cleaner or any multipurpose cleaner
  • Gloves
  • Ornate Mirror
Old Dirty Ornate Mirror found at a Garage Sale - $2

Remove hardware
Use Gloves to Remove Mirror (found some old photographs from the 80's inside the mirror casing)
Separate Mirror and Place in Trash. Turn backboard over to use the smooth side.
Use Chalkboard Paint (Can buy from Lowes or you can use Le Chalk and add to your black paint)

Paint 2 -3 thin layers of paint
The ornate frame was cleaned with a multipurpose cleaner.  I bought a can of Rust-Oleum in white; spray paint is a satin sheen.  It's a paint and prime and will work best for coverage.

Shake the can very well.  Spray a thin layer of paint over frame in a sweeping motion.

This was after one thin layer.  Wait a few minutes and repeat.  Reapply a couple more times until fully covered.
Wait 24 hours before sanding the piece.  Sand all the raised edges until it pleases you!
I probably could have sanded a little more..

Looks great here...

TaDa!

Photograph of Mirror at night.  Did I mention that this Buffet is for sale?  Click on the shop tab above to see if it is still available.
 Hope this inspires you to make one too!

XOXOXOX,

Mary Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Be Shy: Share your thoughts