Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Decorative Finial...from Old World to Concrete Chic (TUTORIAL)

Hello Sweet Friends,

I have been wanting to buy a few finials for the house and have kept my eye out for a thrifty find. My patience paid off when I found this finial.  It was just right. However, it was too old worldly for me.  I decided to paint it and documented the steps with my camera so that you can do the same!




Finial was too old worldly and decided to update it for a concrete chic look!



I painted the entire piece in gray

I went over it with one coat of Le Chalk chalk paint powder (Click Here) paint mix

Once the coat of gray dried, I brushed on a coat of white Le Chalk chalk paint powder (Click Here) paint mix one section at a time.

I brushed the white paint into the nooks and crannies

Before the white paint could dry I used a damp paper towel to remove the excess white paint

I started another section

And I did the same with it, wiping the excess white paint


The white paint that remains on raised edges and the gray below

I wanted it to have a concrete look and I was able to achieve that with this method

The white paint sits in some nooks and crannies and on some raised edges.
The Le Chalk chalk paint powder (Click Here) is what I use to paint my furniture and everything else I like painted.  You don't need to be experienced to use this product as it is soooo forgiving.  It is to be used with any color or brand of latex paint and is water soluble.

The benefits are that when used on furniture you will be left with a very soft and smooth surface, the dry time is quick unlike regular paint,  semi-plaster and bonding like qualities, get the distressed look on your furniture or a new look with full coverage, and is a 1/3 of the cost of boutique chalk paints.  Grab a bag for 1 quart of paint for $10! 

Check out my shop and look for Le Chalk chalk paint powder (Click Here) and come back for more tutorials.  My Etsy shop will be stocked with brushes and wax soon!

Thank you for stopping by!

Mary Elizabeth
XOXOXOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Be Shy: Share your thoughts