Wednesday, March 5, 2014

YES! You can! - Paint A Faux Leather Piece of Furniture

Hello Sweet Readers,

I have been wanting to share this quick tutorial with you for quite sometime but work and household chores got in the way.  I was able to make a huge casserole last night and because there was plenty of left overs it gave me a night off of cooking!  Yay Me!  (Truth be told, I really dislike cooking).  I paint with all kinds of different paints and techniques.  They range from oil paint, to enamels, and all the way to chalk paints.  I will try and do some tutorials on each of them soon.

Today I will be sharing Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  It is a high quality furniture paint.  It is thick, silky, and amazing.  It is said that no sanding or priming is required.  The only drawback it is quite on the expensive side.

I have had this ottoman for about eight years and it had been used for four of those eight years and was still in excellent condition.  I had put it away in a safe place as I really enjoyed the tufting and the big buttons!  I thought I would give it a little facelift.

I started with a clean faux leather ottoman

I sanded it for good measure (Annie Sloan is really known for skipping this step)



After sanding the entire ottoman, I opened a jar of Annie Sloan English Yellow goodness!  This 4 oz. jar of paint was $12.95.  You can use a good quality brush, this one was about $30.

 
So, I painted...(Caution, it will look horrible after the first few coats)
And Painted...
And Painted...
And I Painted, Whew!, it did take a whole jar, but it was still cheaper than re-upholstering the entire thing and wasn't as time consuming. You have to admit, 4 oz went a long way!  It took about 5 coats.  After it dried for 24 hours, I sealed it with wax.
Although it took several days to work on it, it did give me an Instant Gratification!
Up-close and Personal you can see that there are no cracks..
Smooth and Silky
I jumped on it and squished it and has held up very well!  I love how all the stitching shows up behind the paint!
Tea Time!  Enjoying the Cookies of my Labor!
Look for this Ottoman under my "Shop" page.
Yellow/Green Ottoman
I hope I have inspired you to paint something you might have thought of throwing away.

**UPDATE -  This ottoman can be painted using Le Chalk chalk paint powder (Click here) for 1/3 of the cost of Annie Sloan.  One bag of Le Chalk will make an entire quart of chalk paint.   A quart of paint can be purchased at your local Sherwin Williams for $7.  Annie Sloan chalk paint is approximately $40 a quart.  That's alot of savings!

Blessings,

Mary Elizabeth

8 comments:

  1. It looks great! I have a couple of similar pieces that I was wondering what to do with now that I'm changing my decor colors. What kind of wax did you use to seal it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I actually used a wax I had on hand by Cece Caldwell. But on my latest faux leather painted pieces I did not use any wax and they held up very well. Whatever chalk paint you choose to use you will not need to follow up with wax. I thought it was unnecessary. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I painted my ottoman today with Annie Sloan chalk paint, but mine is cracking! Any idea why???!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie, bummer it turned out this way for you. After roughing up the surface I applied the paint in thin layers. The only two things that I can think of what went wrong is that either the surface was not roughed up enough or you applied thick layers of paint instead of thin layers. It's so hard to help without more info, I hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. Hi, I've been researching this for a few days. I think you need to clean it to remove grease/ dirt etc (soap & water then alcohol), sand it a bit (not too rough), then apply an ADHESION PROMOTER (made for vinyl or plastic if its faux leather), guess about 2 or 3 thinnn layers of that. Then paint. It should hold up better. This is according to google!

      Delete
  4. do you think this would work for faux leather seats?

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you think this would work for faux leather seats?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have that same ottoman. I am interested in painting a faux leather loveseat that is peeling. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete

Don't Be Shy: Share your thoughts