Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Astrodome - nicknamed "Eighth Wonder of the World"

Hello My Sweet Readers,

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo has been the biggest show in Texas since 1932.  Everything was held in the Reliant Astrodome & Astrohall until the Reliant Center.  Because I grew up in Houston, Texas it would be a landmark that I would hate to see go.  I remember the rodeos, carnival, and concerts I have attended over my years of growing up.


Did you know? The Astrodome was ranked 134th in the "America's Favorite Architecture" poll commissioned by the American Institute of Architects, that ranked the top 150 favorite architectural projects in America as of 2007.

The future of the Reliant Astrodome is still in limbo. Who knows how Houston will vote for its future.   Luckily, I was able to get out there before the demolition of the three ramps located on the exterior portion of the building in 2013.  I really enjoyed looking at the building intact one last time.  I was able to take a photograph of the infamous skylights and can see exactly why it was ranked top 150 of America's Favorite Architecture in 2007.  I also walked the grounds of the Reliant Astrodome and Park and was in awe at all the bronze sculptures from artist all over.

I am hoping to get out to the Rodeo this year and visit the livestock!  I love little piglets and have always seen the piglet races reported on the news, it is something I have been wanting to see for a few years. 

Here are a few photographs of my little walk around Reliant Astrodome...











No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Be Shy: Share your thoughts